McIntyre, Pennsylvania, is located in the southwest corner of Young
Township, Indiana County, western Pennsylvania, on the northern fringes
of Appalachia. Its mines were opened in 1910 under the auspices of
the Jefferson and Clearfield Coal and Iron Company, a subsidiary corporation
created by the executives of the Rochester and Pittsburgh Coal and
Iron Company. The town was named after H. B. McIntire, a merchant
and coal speculator who lived in the nearby town of Jacksonville.
The Hyde-Murphy Company of Ridgway, Pennsylvania, built many of the
houses in the town. Some houses and stores were privately built and
owned. Other town structures included a doctor's office, school, Catholic
Church, dance hall, as well as many coal mining related structures.
The original company store was called the Jefferson Supply Company
and, like many structures in town, was owned by the Coal Company.
By 1928 the town had 55 double and 17 single houses. The population
of the town for the years 1930, 1940 and 1950 was 710, 800, and 717
respectively. In 1947, the Coal Company sold its remaining 17 coal
towns, including McIntyre, because the mines were no longer profitable.
Homes and water rights were purchased by a local salvage company for