Class, Circa 1915
Taken in front of the McIntyre school house, this class photo is
from about 1915. Although no documentation could be found on the founding of the
schoolhouse, it was probably built shortly after the establishment of the
town in 1910. Typical of schools in coal mining towns, the McIntyre school
had no indoor plumbing. Students used two segregated outhouses located on school property.
Generally, teachers were not well
paid. The average monthly salary for male teachers in Young Township schools
in 1912 was $46 and, for females, $44. In 1919, the Pennsylvania State Legislature
passed a new teacher minimum salary law. Depending on the type of teaching certificate
and gender of the teacher the salaries ranged from $60 to $80 a month.
The monthly cost per pupil in Young Township schools in 1912 was $1.72. In
1899, the length of the school year was seven months. By 1921, it was increased
by one month.
Photo: courtesy Ed Setlock family collection
Joshua Thomas Stewart, Indiana County,
Pennsylvania: Her People, Past and Present, vol.1
(Chicago: J.H. Beers and Company, 1913), 210.
Louise Gilchriese Walsh, History and
Organization of Education in Pennsylvania
(Indiana, Pennsylvania: R.S. Grosse Print Shop, 1930), 263, 272.